|Author/Contributor(s):||Rapp, Callene ; Rapp, Eric|
|Publisher:||New Society Publishers|
Every farm needs a cow - open the gates!
With an approach built around investing for the long term, Homestead Cows prepares homesteaders and small farmers to open the farm gate to cattle, whether a single milk cow or a small beef herd.
Homestead Cows covers the A to Z of husbandry:
- Cow history, biology, diet, and nutrition
- Understanding what you want, what's involved, and creating a plan
- Selecting breeds and determining herd size
- Housing and facilities, transportation, and equipment
- Financial management and the dollars and cents of cows
- Breeding and reproduction
- Cow health and happiness, including safety, handling, and good husbandry
- Processing, products, and cooking.
Cattle are the most productive, versatile, and low-input sources of food and revenue on the farm and can help regenerate and build soil. The secret to success is excellent management, and Homestead Cows distills decades of hard-won, practical knowledge into an essential guide to successful small-scale cattle farming for every homesteader and farmer.